Who is MTCT?
We are a drug free community education programme endeavouring to create change from a grassroots level in Ballyfermot. We tackle the unique social issues that lead to problem drug use and criminal behaviour through the provision of a quality education system and structured, person-centred support
What are the challenges that we are facing?
For many participants in our small community, their capacity to access professional counselling support is cost prohibitive.
They may also feel a sense of stigma reaching out to other professionals such as GP’s and/or do not feel they have the language to articulate their needs in order to secure supports of this nature.
Matt Talbot’s own capacity to provide ongoing counselling support is also limited by virtue of the funding available to us year on year.
We strongly believe that timely intervention of this nature is vital in building resilience and supporting participants to navigate life changing situations
Volunteering as a Counsellor
You will work alongside a professional team providing a range of supports including care planning and Smart Recovery
Your work will include therapeutic intervention in a range of issues to include
• Addiction counselling
• Dealing with bereavement and loss
• Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
• Sexual Abuse
• Domestic Violence
• Anxiety and Depression
• Feelings of Isolation
• To be either a trainee counsellor in the final year of a recognised theoretical model of counselling OR a qualified counsellor at diploma level or above
• To be competent in using a theoretical model of counselling in sessions with clients
• To demonstrate experience of supporting vulnerable adults in a professional capacity
• To demonstrate a non judgemental , congruent and respectful approach
• To evidence strong abilities in communicating with team members
• To be willing to work within MTCT guidelines
• To demonstrate a strong awareness of own emotions and be responsible for own self care
• To be able to demonstrate an understanding of Equality and Diversity issues
• To be responsible for own clinical supervision
• To have experience/understanding of working with adults in recovery from addiction and/or experience of the criminal justice system
Working in a confidential setting counsellors provide non directive support to participants in exploring feelings, anxieties and life events that impact on their emotional wellbeing. Through this process participants are able to feel more empowered to manage their life and make positive life changes.
• To provide individual non directive counselling to participants using a recognised theoretical model
• To build and maintain positive trusting relationships with participants
• To maintain a non-judgemental, congruent and, respectful approach towards clients
• To support clients in developing a deeper understanding of themselves
• To maintain client confidentiality appropriately
• To manage own case load including, arranging counselling appointments
• To uphold MTCT values of support,respect, empathy equality and self-determination
• To ensure you have an understanding of and comply with MTCT procedures for promoting and safeguarding the welfare of children and vulnerable adults
• To comply with MTCT Health and Safety policy, Data protection Policy and protect your own and other’s health safety and welfare
If you are interested in coming on board as a Volunteer Counsellor, please email Grainne Jennings Director email@example.com call on 0857650019 for further information.
We may need to make an application on your behalf for Garda Vetting. Details of Garda Vetting can be found at vetting.garda.ie